Hairdressers are being trained to spot signs of domestic abuse


A number of hairdressers are being trained to identify signs of domestic abuse from their clients.

The initiative, from Norfolk County Council, follows the tragic death of Norwich-based Kerri McAuley, 32, at the hands of her boyfriend in January 2017.

Joe Storey, McAuley’s boyfriend, attacked her and broke every bone in her face. She later died from her injuries.
Hairdresser Annie Reilly, who did McAuley’s hair, has spoken of her guilt for not going to the authorities after the victim confided in her.
“She turned around and said to me, ‘I know he’s going to kill me’. They were words I never thought I’d hear any of my clients say,” she told the BBC‘s ‘Victoria Derbyshire’ programme.
“When I opened the door she just looked at me and she collapsed into my arms, sobbing. I comforted her, cuddled her.”
“Should I have phoned the police? Yes, of course I should have done – but I didn’t know they were words that were meant. I just thought it was a statement, a figure of speech.”
Norfolk County Council have since began a training series for hairdressers and beauticians, including holding a conference for 250 participants earlier this month, on how to spot signs of domestic abuse.
“If you’re doing somebody’s nails and you can see some are being broken off, it’s about being curious, asking those questions,” a speaker told the audience, according to the BBC.

Comments

Popular Posts